Cataract Surgery & Premium Lenses
Over 20.5 million Americans over the age of 40 have cataracts - a clouding of the eye's natural lens that impairs one's ability to see clearly. Unlike a standard lens, Premium Implants treat the cataract while simultaneously giving a fuller, more natural range of vision. These Lifestyle lenses are something patients should consider before cataract surgery.
While there are several advanced technology IOLs on the market today, the premium lenses we use in our practice include Toric and multifocal lenses. Premium Implants also allows you to do most tasks without glasses.
- Multifocal IOLs, or advanced technology IOLs, are a type of lens that treats multiple focal points and reduces or eliminates the need for eyeglasses or contact lenses after cataract surgery. Part of the rapid evolution in IOL innovations, these newer lenses are made from cutting-edge materials with unique features. This is made possible through highly specialized optics that divide light and focus it on more than one point to provide a range from near to far eyesight. Multifocal implants intend patients to see distance and near targets after cataract surgery. The two major brand names in this category are the AcrySof® ReSTOR® IOL by Alcon and the Tecnis® by Abbott.
- Toric Lens Implants are astigmatism-correcting monofocal lens implants. This type of lens is designed to correct astigmatism. The goal is to create focused vision at a predetermined location, either distance or near targets. Most patients opt for sharp distance vision. Reading glasses are expected to be used after implantation of this type of lens. This type of lens is not intended to provide distance and near vision simultaneously.
- NEW Multifocal Toric are the newest type of lens that's designed to give patients the all-in-one possibility to treat multiple focal points AND correct astigmatism. This Multifocal Toric implant also helps patients reduce or even eliminate the need for eyeglasses and/or contact lenses after surgery.
The Tecnis® Multifocal Implants implantable lens provides focus for near and distance targets. In fact, nearly 9 out of 10 patients don't need glasses after the procedure.
The Tecnis® Multifocal IOL lens by Abbott Medical is similar in design to the Acrysof ReSTOR® lens implant, but there are differences. The Tecnis® lens has its multifocal optic on the rear lens surface, whereas the ReSTOR® lens has its multifocal designed on the front surface. There are very subtle differences in the ratio of near, intermediate and distance-focusing proportions of these lenses and in their edge design.
References: TECNIS Multifocal Foldable Acrylic Intraocular Lens. Santa Ana, Calif: Abbott Medical Optics
AcrySof® ReSTOR® IOL
The ReSTOR® lens is a multifocal lens implant that is designed to replace the natural lens of the eye after cataract surgery. Comprised of a flexible plastic material, the ReSTOR® lens has a patented design that allows it to focus light on the retina for clear vision for near and distance sight. The benefit for cataract surgery patients is a high level of spectacle freedom. Alcon has patented the application of apodization technology to an IOL, making the AcrySof® ReSTOR® lens the first apodized diffractive IOL.
For many cataract surgery patients the AcrySof® ReSTOR® IOL by Alcon delivers very good vision at multiple distances including near and far vision. Many people also obtain good intermediate vision without the need for reading glasses. The AcrySof® ReSTOR® IOL by Alcon is a very unique innovation which is ideal for those patients seeking spectacle freedom after cataract surgery. AcrySof® ReSTOR® IOL by Alcon has been FDA approved for the treatment of cataracts since March of 2005.
FDA Clinical Data:
During U.S. clinical trials, the results with AcrySof® ReSTOR® IOL by Alcon were remarkable:
- 80% of patients reported that after lens implant surgery with ReSTOR lenses, they no longer needed glasses or contact lenses to see clearly at all distances.
- 94% said they could drive and read the paper without contacts or glasses.
- Nearly 94% were so satisfied that they would have the procedure again.
References: Alcon Website 2007. Alcon Technologies Inc.
AcrySof® IQ ReSTOR® +2.5 D IOL
The newest in the AcrySof lens now with ACTIVEFOCUS channels light to promote sharp distance visions. Designed to offer balanced near and intermediate vision as well, this IOL helps patients enjoy a more active lifestyle.
ReSTOR® Toric IOL
The newest, all-in-one premium implant is designed to offer balanced near and intermediate vision, channels light to promote sharp distance visions, as well as simultaneously correcting astigmatism. Click here to learn more!
AcrySof® IQ Toric IOL
The latest in IOL technology, IQ Toric by delivering more precise, predictable outcomes and quality distance vision—many times eliminating the need for glasses following surgery.
The AcrySof® IQ Toric IOL may also eliminate, in many cases, the need for limbal relaxing incisions (LRI), a technique in which incisions are made at the edge of the cornea to cause it to heal in a more spherical shape.When you meet with your surgeon about your astigmatism this may be an option he will discuss with you.